Monday, February 9, 2009

We're Here!

It's been a long day, but we made it. It started dark, cold, and early when we left my parents' house at 3:30 a.m. As long as the day was, it was some of the easiest traveling I've ever experienced. The connection went very smoothly, and customs was a breeze. The only thing that was a little disconcerting was when we landed seeing old, broken-down hangars and rusted out planes that looked a little like something Baloo from TaleSpin might fly. But we saw the lone white guy waiting outside the airport, and, sure enough, it was Steve.
Driving through the country was interesting. We thought it looked a lot like what Haiti might look like had it not been so deforested. We arrived at La Senda, our new home, in the afternoon and were able to unpack, take a tour, and meet most of the kids. We found out they all speak English! Although that means we may not be as motivated to learn Spanish, it sure is nice to be able to communicate with them right away. They all make us smile, and the ones Steve wants us to pay special attention to are the ones I would have chosen myself. We can't wait to see what craziness comes next.

6 comments:

  1. Katie and Dave,
    I'm now following your blog so keep us up to date! I am excited for you both and for how you will impact the kids lives. Steve and Pam must be thrilled! Tell them hello! the Hunters are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. umahmmah...that was a whiney voice (for you Dave). We miss you guys. Can't wait to hear more. Love you. Lila says "My miss At Tatie and Hunkie Dave".

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad the flights went well for you guys.
    i hope the stove was found!
    we're gonna need to see photos soon!
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. For mom and dad it is just good to know that you are safe and sound. We both hope Jesus knocks your socks off over the next few months. We love you so much and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie... I just found this area where I could write a comment, I am very new to all of this blogging stuff. I am so glad you made it safely and I got the e-mail you sent me before you left. Things are going very well here! I am anxious to hear how things are going with you all.

    ReplyDelete