Saturday, February 14, 2009

His Grace is Sufficient

"And I, when I came to you brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God." 1 Corinthians 2:1-5.

I read this verse before we left for Guatemala and it became my prayer for our trip. It has definately become something I cling to everyday! Dave and I have both found the school day to be very frustrating with a language barrier. It is hard to teach when no one understands what you are saying. It is even more difficult to gain control of a classroom when no one understands you! It has to be Christ in us that people see because there is nothing we can say that these kids will understand apart from the power of God. Pray for us as we continue to teach the children in the school. Pray that we would have patience and rely on the power of God instead of our own strength.

After school is over we get to spend time with five specific kids who live in the children's home. Steven, Jefferson, Gerson, Carlos, and Marili. They are the sweetest and most loving kids. We enjoy every moment we get to spend with them. On a daily basis Jefferson asks me if we "are going to take care of him today." This is all they desire. They want to be taken care of and loved. From 3:00 to 5:30 we are there to help them do their chores, get baths, and love on them as a parent would. We read to them, play soccer, and simply laugh together. The boys are so funny. Dave says during shower time the boys will put their feet over the drain and let the shower fill up with a couple inches of water so they can play in it. Marili is the youngest girl in the home and is such a joy. She speaks little English and always has a smile on her face. She reminds me of my neice Madi when she laughs. We love each of these children so much. Dave feels as though he knew these kids before we even got here.

At 7:00, 5 nights a week, there is prayer time for anyone who wants to come. The children ususally come and sit in our laps which gives us the perfect oppotunity to pray for them individually. My prayer for them is that God's love would be enough. That they would fall passionately in love with Him and desire Him only. It is then that our cup overflows and we have all that we need.

We love you all and thank you for all of your prayers and support.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you guys are doing this! Ahhhhh... I can't even express how cool it is! I am almost crying reading this blog. i love you guys!!!!!

    Zach

    ReplyDelete