Monday, May 4, 2009

New Every Morning

It's amazing the wonders that become dull. We've been here almost three months now. I remember the first day I took in our view over the mountains, and suddenly, I couldn't breathe as well. And now, after day after day of seeing the same amazing landscape, it's a good day if I pause at the bottom of our steps to look off the balcony. How can that become boring?
I can look at it, and conscientiously decide that it's beautiful; I know that it's beautiful. But why does my heart no longer beat faster when I look at it?

Any time we leave the compound, we are bombarded with images that three months ago were completely new. Now, they are part of the routine, lost in the goal of whatever we're out to do. Why do we become used to things? Why are we so fickle? Things lose their lustre so quickly.

Be wary of newness. It is exciting, and new things can be very good. Adventure is very good. But let not your joy be in the novelty. It will soon wear away. Rather, enjoy God in the newness. Experience God in the newness. And as the newness fades, say with Jeremiah, "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

We need to experience the new. How else can we grasp the sustained newness of God's mercy? The mountains outside my window will not be new tomorrow, but my joy in knowing, seeing, and tasting God will be fresh and vital.

No comments:

Post a Comment